Hi! I’m Kirsten (rhymes with Beer-sten). Most of my friends call me Kiki.
This site is the hub for all the various things I do… and I do a lot of things. I don’t like hats, but I wear a lot of them.
On the blog page here, you’ll find archived recipes, stories from life with five kids, and some helpful tips and tricks for home life. I hope you’ll find some humor and inspiration. Oh, and my pumpkin chocolate chip cake is killer.
If you are an author, I host a podcast called Create If Writing. It’s consistently making lists for top writing podcasts. I want to help you sell more books without being smarmy. You can read and listen to that HERE. (Even if you don’t listen to podcasts, I have tons of blog posts.) You can also join my writing community on Facebook.
Like to read? I write under a few pen names.
Emma St. Clair is my pen name for clean romance. Think … romance without the bedroom scenes. I hate cheese, so my books have sassy characters and might tug at your heartstrings.
Sullivan Gray is my pen name for YA paranormal romance and urban fantasy. Think: vampires and wolf shifters in the modern world. These books will also be free from language and sex on the page. But gripping stories, all including romance as at least a sub-plot. If you’re super-nosy and you want to know more (which I hope you are), here is more about me.
Nosy? Want to know more? Here are some fun facts.
- I have my Master of Fine Arts in Fiction and four children who are an unrelated by-product.
- I live in Katy, Texas—a suburb/small town just west of Houston.
- My husband was a youth pastor and we are total goof-balls together. We dance very badly at home when no one is looking. We quote Mean Girls and Arrested Development to each other.
- Sometimes I start food fights.
- As a general rule, I don’t make the bed. Or use a top sheet.
- My parents swear that when I was born, I didn’t cry. I simply looked around the room as though to say, “What’s next?”
- I have played and coached roller derby off-and-on for seven years. I’d rather skate than walk and could take you out with a well-placed hip hit. Try me.
- I generally go to bed around 1am and get up at 6am.
- I survive on coffee, though I usually drink decaf.
- I read ten books at a time and leave them lying open around the house in various rooms. Sometimes I finish them.
- My first blog was called I Still Hate Pickles. I actually DO hate pickles.
- I grew up in Richmond, VA and miss Pony Pasture, The Little Yogurt Shop (RIP), and the way the sun looked setting over the hills on Patterson Avenue. I do NOT miss winter.
- Alligators are my favorite animal. Once, I was bitten by one.
- My husband was cast in the reboot of American Gladiators but had to miss it because we were having a baby. He is insanely athletic.
- I make great food, but often start small fires.
- I used to dream of being a folk rock star and have written over 100 songs. I probably remember five of them.
- My husband is one of seven children, and though for years I didn’t think I wanted kids, I am so excited about what feels like a huge family of four kids.
- I often struggle to find the balance between being a mom and pursuing some of my other dreams, namely writing.
- I listened to my first podcast this year and launched two of them a month later.
- I have no tattoos but have had a total of six piercings, not all in my ears. (Now all closed up.)
- I became a Christian through a friend’s youth group when I was 14.
My Amazon Author page Where I have some self-published non-fiction.
Twitter Where I Tweet humor and social media, writing, and platform-building links.
Facebook Where I may post links and not-so-deep thoughts in more than 140 characters.
Instagram Where you will find lots of photos of my kids and also food.
Pinterest Where I pin food, home stuff, writing stuff, and more food.
Google+ Where I mostly connect to other bloggers and post lots of links to great food.
Youtube Where I sometimes post videos of the fam or tutorials on how to make your own deodorant.