Hi! I’m Kirsten (rhymes with Beer-sten). Most of my friends call me Kiki.
I used to think that I blogged for me, as an outlet for long days as a mom. Then I realized that I really write this blog for YOU. Like me, you sometimes feel lost in the chaos of a busy and ordinary life. Like me, you are looking for meaning. Laughter. Joy. A way to embrace (not run from) the chaos and the mess.
I hope my writing encourages you in your messy life. I hope it sometimes makes you laugh, sometimes makes you tear up (but only a little), and sometimes makes your stomach growl. Because life is ALWAYS better with food, right? Right.
I want to inspire you to laugh even on the hard days. I want you know that you’re not in this thing alone. YOU ARE NOT IN THIS THING ALONE. There is meaning and joy in your ordinary life. I want to help you find it just as I am wrestling to find it.
Can we navigate the mess together? Sign up for my Weekly Chaos Newsletter so that I can share inspiration with you week-to-week. It will include links to my blog posts so if you forget to check back, you can have everything right there at your fingertips. (Not that YOU’RE lazy. That’s just ME.) You’ll even get a free ebook, Church Isn’t Cute, which is all about the messy intersection where real life meets faith.
When I’m not writing here about life, I am podcasting and writing about blogging and writing and platform on my other site, Create If Writing. I also host the Blogger2Business podcast where I get to talk to some of my blogging heroes. You should really come listen! I would love to help you learn to grow authentic platform and blog like a rock star.
If you’re super-nosy and you want to know more (which I hope you are), here is more about me.
- I have my Master of Fine Arts in Fiction and four children who are an unrelated by-product.
- I live in Katy, Texas—a suburb/small town just west of Houston.
- My husband is a youth pastor and we are total goof-balls together. We dance very badly at home when no one is looking. We quote Mean Girls and Arrested Development to each other.
- Sometimes I start food fights.
- As a general rule, I don’t make the bed.
- My parents swear that when I was born, I didn’t cry. I simply looked around the room as though to say, “What’s next?”
- I have played and coached roller derby off-and-on for seven years. I’d rather skate than walk and could take you out with a well-placed hip hit. Try me.
- I generally go to bed around 1am and get up at 6am.
- I survive on coffee, though I usually drink decaf.
- I read ten books at a time and leave them lying open around the house in various rooms. Sometimes I finish them.
- I used to blog at I Still Hate Pickles. I actually DO hate pickles.
- I grew up in Richmond, VA and miss Pony Pasture, The Little Yogurt Shop (RIP), and the way the sun looked setting over the hills on Patterson Avenue. I do NOT miss winter.
- Alligators are my favorite animal. Once, I was bitten by one.
- My husband was cast in the reboot of American Gladiators but had to miss it because we were having a baby. He is insanely athletic.
- I make great food, but often start small fires.
- I used to dream of being a folk rock star and have written over 100 songs. I probably remember five of them.
- My husband is one of seven children, and though for years I didn’t think I wanted kids, I am so excited about what feels like a huge family of four kids.
- I often struggle to find the balance between being a mom and pursuing some of my other dreams, namely writing.
- I listened to my first podcast this year and launched two of them a month later.
- I have no tattoos but have had a total of six piercings, not all in my ears. (Now all closed up.)
- I became a Christian through a friend’s youth group when I was 14.
My Amazon Author page Where I have some self-published non-fiction.
Twitter Where I Tweet humor and social media, writing, and platform-building links.
Facebook Where I may post links and not-so-deep thoughts in more than 140 characters.
Instagram Where you will find lots of photos of my kids and also food.
Pinterest Where I pin food, home stuff, writing stuff, and more food.
Google+ Where I mostly connect to other bloggers and post lots of links to great food.
Youtube Where I sometimes post videos of the fam or tutorials on how to make your own deodorant.
Weekly Email Where I write fresh content and post links to the past week’s blog posts. It’s the best way to keep up!